In this post we will examine the following free charting libraries:
- jQuery Sparklines
- Yahoo! UI Library: Charts
- JS Charts
- Bar Charts – also customisable, with separate colours used for positive and negative values. There is also the option of a coded colour scheme.
- Tristate Charts – there are charts with positive, negative and zero values, all represented by different colours.
- Pie Charts – minature inline pie charts. These are most useful with a maximum of three values, otherwise the segments are too small to be seen clearly.
- Miscellaneous Charts – Boxplots, Bullet Graphs and Discrete charts are also available.
You can download Sparklines for jQuery at http://omnipotent.net/jquery.sparkline/.
Yahoo! UI Library: Charts
- Customise – You can customise each of your charts, adjusting axes and series.
- Mouse-over Datatip – The mouseover can be customised to give a specific datatip.
- Combination charts – You can use more than one chart together to provide additional data.
- Skinning – You can select a skin you wish to use for your chart and apply it to a chart that has been generated previously.
You can access Yahoo! UI Library: Charts at http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/charts/, where you can download it free of charge.
JS Charts is not strictly free, but can be used without licence for non-commercial purposes only. If you wish to use this application for commercial sites you must purchase a licence, priced at $149. JS Charts markets itself as a simple, easy-to-use chart generator which requires a minimal amount of coding. Some of the main features of this application include:
- Online Editor – You can edit and create charts online, using an online editor that is straightforward and easy to use.
- Charts – There are just three charts available, bar, pie and line charts.
- Saving – Charts can be saved to a user account on JS Charts’ servers.
- Compatibility – JS Charts is compatible with most web browsers, including Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Internet Explorer, iPhone and Opera.
You can download JS Charts at http://www.jscharts.com/.